Thursday, April 22, 2010

Yummy Microwave Meatloaf

So I found this easy-sounding recipe in an email from Taste of Home today, and (since I was having a mental block about what to make for supper) I thought I'd give it a try tonight. It tasted almost identical to the meatloaf I make in the oven, and it was waaaay easier and quicker. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients
1 egg
2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup picante sauce, divided
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound ground beef
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
In a small bowl, combine the egg, 2 tablespoons picante sauce, oats, onion, chili powder and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into two 4-in. x 2-in. loaves.

Place in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.

Place the remaining picante sauce in a small microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Pour over meat loaves. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and microwave on high for 45 seconds or until cheese is melted. Yield: 2 servings.

I didn't have cheese on hand, so I just mixed up the usual brown sugar, mustard, ketchup topping, but I guessed on the portions, and it was really mustardy. Eeew. Good thing Nate likes mustard. :) Molly and I split one loaf, and Nate ate the other one. With some baked potatoes it was plenty of food for all three of us. I'm sure I'll be making this again (especially on Thursdays when my creativity invariably heads for the hills).

No comments:

Post a Comment